Crewe retirement home evacuated after fire breaks out

A fire at a retirement home in Crewe has led to the evacuation of about 150 residents.

Firefighters tackled the blaze through the night after being called to Beechmere supported living complex in Rolls Avenue at 4.30pm on Thursday. By 10pm, 16 fire crews were at the scene.

A spokesperson for Cheshire fire and rescue service said the complex was smouldering but no longer ablaze on Friday morning and by the afternoon the number of fire engines were being reduced after the affected areas in the roof were damped down. However, the building had partially collapsed.

Several residents were relocated to crisis accommodation, while others were taken to an emergency rest centre, Cheshire police said. Arrangements for alternative accommodation were being made, and a small number of people were taken to hospital for checks.

People living in two streets next to the building were also asked to leave due to the flames and smoke; others were told to keep their windows and doors closed.

The daughter of one resident said her mother had spent the night in temporary accommodation. “She’s disorientated,” the woman told BBC Radio Stoke. “I don’t think she realises just how serious it is. She seems to think she could go back today – she could just go back in and get her things – but that’s not going to be the case … All she has got is the clothes she was stood up in.”

Poynton Fire Station
(@PoyntonFS)

Incident Update: Crews from Poynton have now left the scene of the fire. We have been focusing on protecting residents houses from the fire, smoke, embers and sparks. The building remains on fire. Residents should keep in doors with windows and doors closed. #Crewe #Fire pic.twitter.com/64hzkxwhBy


August 9, 2019

“This is a substantial fire in a very large and complex building,” said Neil Griffiths, the fire commander in charge of the incident. “More than 70 firefighters have been at the scene overnight tackling the blaze. The response effort has been immense.

“Our efforts have been hampered by the weather, the layout of the site and the access to it, but I want to reassure everyone that we are doing all that we can to bring the fire under control as quickly as possible. The response from the local community has been amazing and we are very appreciative of their support.”

Fire crews were likely to remain at the scene into the weekend.

Police also praised neighbours for their “goodwill, generosity and kindness” after they swiftly offered support, donated items and provided transport for some of those affected.

Supt Pete Crowcroft said: “This is a very large fire in a building that is at the heart of the community. This will have a significant impact on those living close by and they will clearly be concerned for all those affected.

“But the response shown last night, within minutes of the incident being reported, was nothing short of remarkable, and I want to thank every single person who has helped or offered help in some way.”

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button